Sequiturs and Non sequiturs...

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Tracing the Origin of One Creative Spark

One of my First Goddess Efforts in Glass
Prehistoric Figurine circa 25,000 BCE

A couple weeks ago I was driving home from an overnight get-together with two very close old friends (they are not old, the friendship is!). I was deeply free-associating as often happens on monotonous freeway drives. I was feeling a profound gratitude for long-lasting friendships. I was thinking about glass lampwork because that is my creative outlet and my mind bursts with glass imagery when it is comfortably unfocussed. I was thinking about  my friend’s upcoming event at her home, hosting a speaker for women only on ‘sacred sexuality’ and ‘finding the goddess within’ and contemplating the significance of the ubiquitous concept of goddess in our modern lives. And somewhere deep in the background I was thinking about the prehistoric ‘goddess’ figurines I had seen and learned about on a trip to England in July. Then flash! it all coalesced and I knew I had to go home and try my hand at making my own goddess interpretation in glass.

The creation of my glass ‘Goddess Bead’ has been very satisfying. But, I continue to struggle with the ascribed significance, what I think of as a current sort of ‘cult of the goddess’. But what exactly is this? The concept of goddess amongst many modern western women resonates deeply. It is a sort of shorthand reference for some very primal sense of feminine identity. I have been wanting to explore this topic, in writing, for the last two weeks. I feel like I have only brushed the surface. Bear with me, there is more to come. I would welcome anyone’s comments on the topic as I work to gain my own understanding.



No comments:

Post a Comment